WG IV/2: Ontologies, Semantics, and Knowledge Representation for Geospatial Information
ISPRS WG IV/2 aims at promoting interdisciplinary research on geospatial ontologies, semantics, and knowledge representation. These topics lie at the core of many cutting edge research issues such as semantic interoperability between geospatial information and web services, ontology development and integration, semantics of volunteered geographic information, Geospatial Semantic Web, semantic sensor networks, semantics for Internet of things, big data, linked data, etc.
In order to achieve its objectives, the WG plans to organize workshops and promote collaborative research and publications. The WG also plans to establish an active community of members for exchanging ideas, practices, and resources in relation to the topics of the working group through its webpage and networking tools. Furthermore, the WG plans to draw upon the interdisciplinary character and expertise of its officers in order to stimulate collaboration with other ISPRS working groups such as WG IV/1: Multi-dimensional modelling, WG IV/4: Crowdsourcing, mobility, cloud based mapping, social collaboration, participatory systems, WG IV/6: Internet of things, sensor web, SDI, Spatial decision support systems, and WG IV/7: DBMS (Data management and indexing), spatial data interoperability and standards, and ICWG IV/II: Applications of GIS but also beyond the ISPRS Community through cooperation with other related international research groups.
Working Group Officers:
School of Rural and Surveying Engineering
National Technical University of Athens
9 Iroon Politechniou str.
15780, Zografos Campus, Athens
+30 210 7722637
+30 210 7722734
|Mir Abolfazl Mostafavi|
Centre for research in Geomatics
Department of Geomatics Sciences
G1 K 7P4
+1-418 656-2131- 2750
Department of Architecture and Design (DAD)
Politecnico di Torino
Viale Mattioli, 39
+39 011 090 4369
Department of Urbanism
Delft University of Technology
2628 BL Delft
Terms of Reference:
In order to describe the scope and limitations of the activities of WG IV/2 the following terms of reference have been defined:
- Explore recent advances in geospatial ontologies, semantics, and knowledge representation.
- Explore ontologies and semantics of cutting edge research topics such as semantic web, big data, linked data, and Volunteered Geographic Information.
- Work on spatial ontologies and semantics data quality and standards.
- Study the development, integration, and evolution of domain geospatial ontologies, classifications, nomenclatures, etc. (land use / land cover, hydrography, etc.).
- Investigate new applications of ontologies in domains such as disaster management, urban modeling, mobility, and architecture.
- Research formalisms, methods, and tools for semantic information representation, extraction, and visualization related to geospatial entities and events.
- Explore topics related to semantic interoperability, semantic similarity, semantic enrichments and semantic annotation, etc.
Mariana Belgiu, email@example.com - University of Twente, Netherlands
Mojgan (Amaneh) Jadidi, firstname.lastname@example.org - York University, Canada
Marinos Kavouras, email@example.com - National Technical University of Athens, Greece
Saman Koswatte, Saman.Koswatte@usq.edu.au - University of Southern Queensland Australia
Tatjana Kutzner, firstname.lastname@example.org - Technical University of Munich, Germany
Eleni Tomai, email@example.com - National Technical University of Athens, Greece